Ready for Adventures?
of the Adventure badges you need to gain an interest badge of your
choice. Why not try completing the Healthy Heart Badge and give
these clauses a go. To finish the badge all you need to do is
complete a further 3 clauses, one from each section and learn the 3
things you should know to keep your heart healthy.
you’ve finished, take in your projects and show them to your Brownie
Leader who will then be able to award you your badge.
You will need: A balloon, A thin piece of
plastic tubing (available from hobby shops or pet shops), 2 small
funnels (these should be small enough to be squeezed into the end of
the tubing), Scissors, A timer, Rubber band (optional), A calculator
- Take the piece of tubing and fit a funnel to
- Stretch the balloon by blowing it up and then
letting the air out.
- Cut the balloon in half with the scissors.
- Stretch the top of the balloon tightly over the
open end of one the funnels. If necessary, use a rubber band to hold
it in place.
- Well done, you’ve finished your stethoscope!
your stethoscope work:
- Find your heart with your hand by feeling where
it beats in your chest.
- Sit down somewhere quiet and place the end of
the funnel with the balloon over it against your chest, directly
onto your skin, just to the left centre.
- Hold the other funnel to your ear. You should
hear a low beating sound.
- Use the timer to count how many beats you hear
in 30 seconds. Multiply this number by 2 to find out how fast your
heart beats in one minute.
- Try doing some more tests such as running
around for 5 minutes and then checking how fast your heart is
beating. Compare your results to your brothers, sisters, parents and
friends, are there any differences?
- See if you can find out the science behind this
Asthma affects one in 11 children and is a
medical condition that affects the lungs and how you breathe. See if
you can find out more information about Asthma and challenge
yourself to write about Asthma using these 3 different types of
– pick a word, like ASTHMA, and for each letter of that word write
one word or sentence beginning with that letter to describe the word
Help with slow steady breathing
Make call if still bad
– 3 lines 17 syllables 5-7-5
Take your inhaler
Sit down, breathe slow
Still bad, 999
A shape poem is
identified by two things.
The first is it's
made in a shape, and the
that the shape is described in
the poem. So a poem
keeping hearts healthy
could be in the
shape of a
Eating lots of low fat foods and vegetables is
a great way to keep your heart healthy. Why not make this delicious
lunch for you and your family, serves 4.
You Will Need: Heat proof jug, bowl, chopping
board, sharp knife, fork, table spoon, scales, measuring jug, small
200ml hot low salt vegetable
stock (from a cube is fine)
2 spring onions
1 red pepper
50g feta cheese, cubed
2 tbsp pesto
diced Chicken or Vegetarian alternative
- Measure 100g of coucous using the scales
- Pour the couscous into a large bowl
- Using hot boiling water make up the stock cube
according to the instructions. You will need to ask an adult to help
you with this part.
- Measure 200ml of stock and pour slowly over the
- Cover with a small plate, then leave for 10
mins, until fluffy and all the stock has been absorbed. You may need
to fluff it up with a fork.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions and pepper and dice
- Add these to the couscous along with the
chicken or vegetarian alternative.
- Stir through the pesto using the fork before
crumbling in feta.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you've done these, why not
have a go at
Brownies Go For It!